Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Quick Report on Seeing 8/17/20

So, I was able to get out last night and between 9:30 pm to around 10:30 pm, the seeing was "very good" for the area.   

 

BUT as I've mentioned in a past post, there wasn't a wealth of sharp details on Jupiter to be seen.  It's very odd because when the seeing isn't great, sometimes, there are these fleeting microseconds when you see a wealth of detail on the planet.  I've wondered if that detail is an illusion.  Perhaps the mind perceives several microseconds of images that are moving around and "processes" the images like a "live stack".   Part of the reason I suspect this idea is that when I go back to the video frame-by-frame, I don't see any sharp frames.

In any event, by 11 pm, warm winds started up from the SE (rare) and the seeing began to crap out.

This is what it's like around 30% of the time.  And yes, that's best focus. 



No comments:

Post a Comment