Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Mars on 7/30



2,186 frames out of 36,440 frames taken approx. 3:27 am local time on 7/30.   Same setup as previous posts with the Baader 685nm cut-off filter.   Stacked in Autostakkert and Wavelets in Registax 6.   Yeah, that artifacting around the edges, I know.

(Later:   This image is showing the "chokepoint" between Syrtis Major (on the left side) and Terra Sabaea to the right.  The round lighter area above the chokepoint is Hellas Planitia.  And the big light area below is Arabia Terra.  Maybe sometime in the 2030's, we'll have people there?)



Same session.   Total frames around 41,600.  But with Green (visual) filter.  3:54 am on 7/30.  I tried stacking in Autostakkert but came up with a much "blurrier" image.   Picked about 200 alignment points in Registax and did light wavelets processsing.  It looks out of focus, but I took great pains to to dial in focus.   The video coming down through the green filter was pretty awful with lots of shaking; and I never got a "crisp" focus no matter how long I tried.   It could be the cheap "Optcorp" brand green filter.   Mars is shrinking so quickly that I don't know if I'll have more time to get a better result with better filters.

(Later: Though not conclusive by any means, I held up the green filter to my eye and scanned around the room.   I can see plenty of red and blue objects so I suspect the green filter is very "wide" and this may contribute to a lack of focus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment