Monday, August 10, 2020

Plato with 7 Craterlets

 

1,242 frames out of 13,807 frames (9%) stacked in Autostakkert; and processed in Registax and Gimp.

Data taken at approx. 2:36 am on 8/8.  (19 day moon, 80% illuminated.)

C11, 2x TV barlow, Astromania ADC, QHY 462C.  The original video is green.  So I had to do some channel mixing in Gimp to get it to B&W.

You can definitely see 6 craterlets and mostly 1 more.   There are about another 7-8 "maybe" craterlets which tells me the resolution here is around 1.5 - 2 km.

The blurry parts in the lower left, upper left and a little bit of lower-mid right were problems in Autostakkert.

 

 
 Re-stacked with more alignment points in Autostakkert so I could preserve more edge areas.  Spent a a fair amount of time in Gimp to dial this in.  I purposefully left some noise in order to preserve detail.
 
 
 
In Gimp, under the 'Filters -> Enhance ->' menu, there is a really handy bluring tool called, "Symmetric Nearest Neighbor" menu.   This is really useful! 
 
 
Just showing the alignment points.   Most of these were generated from Autostakkert.  But I removed mabye 50-60 points that seemed redundant OR emphasized a non-existent 'line'.  I added around 100 points by hand on features visible in the lower left and upper left areas.  I also used a reference image from CloudyNights to help place harder-to-see alignment points in Plato.  I probably could have spent more time placing alignment points on fainter craterlets.
 
The larger question I have is if more aperture will get me better resolution?   In the most obvious sense, the answer is yes, but the issue is seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment