Friday, October 23, 2020

Comparison of QHY 462C with and without the included UV/IR filter

The other night when I realized I hadn't been shooting with UV/IR, I eventually added the filter.   The seeing had deteriorated noticeably as Mars was right over the outbuilding which hadn't been cooled.


The unfiltered 462C is to the left and the filtered version is to the right.

The first thing you might notice is the color shift.  The unfiltered color actually looks close to what I think Mars should look like.  I think it could be a little redder, but overall I like the appearance more than the greenish-lime vibe (early Homer Simpson?) of the right with the filter.  

The other thing which is hard to distinguish is that the northern polar ice is evident on the right (more so with video) and only hinted at without filtration.  The small south pole is also a bit more obvious with UV/IR.  

With albedo features, I think the filtered version is also more contrasty.  Though the UV/IR filter did require that I change the shutter speed with higher gain (276 vs 210) and slightly longer exposures (3.75 vs 2.32 milliseconds).

As far as clouds, the UV/IR filtered version hints at clouds to the west.  The non-filtered version seems devoid of clouds.

 


Maybe I should stick with monochrome with RGB filters.

No comments:

Post a Comment