Wednesday, September 2, 2020

The seeing is supposed to be excellent after 4 am. We'll see.....


Blogger sucks.  Also, Amazon sucks.  And Facebook is run by a person with the moral intelligence of a 9 year-old.

Anyways...  the useful link:  https://www.calsky.com/?Marsviewer=&

 

(Update:  So, what I said in the "lost post" held true -- the "wavey" normal distortions were largely absent which led to better potential details.  But there was an ever-present jitter in the images.  I'm wondering if it's in the mechanical-optical system because when I first started recording after putting in the camera, it seemed really stable.  After 5 minutes, the jitter (or high-frequency movement) started taking over.  After I did a meridian flip, it seemed calm for maybe 30 seconds, then the problem came back.  I placed my hand on the scope body and mount to see if that had any effect and it didn't.   It's possible that the calm moments were just random events but I'm not sure how to test it.  I suppose I could have had my dob out (a real logistical chore at 3 am) and looked visually.  On the prior night of awful seeing, I peered at a few stars through the binoculars and it seemed like I was seeing the jitter on lower lying stars.  I've never really looked for it since I don't typically spend time looking at "bad stars".)

No comments:

Post a Comment