Monday, September 14, 2020

Comet Images from 2013

Based on the scant context, I think this is from the Canon 350D and a Zeiss 135mm lens.   Single frame taken on May 10th, 2013 around 4:46 am so I think it's Panstarrs (C/2011 L4) two months after it's closest approach.  I suspect it is a 10 second exposure.   The camera is pointing SE in the early dawn sky.


It's a little noisy, but still wanted to keep the image.  The brightest star in the upper right is Algenib.



So looking at the metadata, the above image is a still from May 10th also at around 4:50 am.  So something is goofy about the shots.  The bright star is Errai (Gamma Cephei) as solved by Astrometry.net.  Also, it appears I was using the 135mm lens (probably at f/3.2) with the Canon 350D.   The noise is sorta astounding.   I once did an informal comparison of dark frames from the Canon 350D, the T3i, and the 6D a few years ago.   My memory is that the 350D had like 3x as many noisy pixels as the T3i which in turn had 2x as many noisy pixels as the 6D.  

The first shot above has a definite greenish-blue tinge while this second one is much more white in appearance.  I also suspect that second shot was at max ISO of maybe 3200?

I have so many "sightseeing" images from 2011 to 2013 that I just wanted to pull a few out before deleting them.   I'm kinda disappointed that I didn't take a full set of images of that latter comet.   At the time, I vaguely remember thinking that I should go slowly and take my time.   I had all the equipment to properly image those comets.   Yet I didn't.  

*Just wanted to point out that the Canon350D (circa 2004) had very limited metadata info.  Probably with the T-series (like my T3i), they incorporated much more info (lens, f/stop, temp, etc) in the metadata tag.

**Also, why was I (am I) still holding on to the 350D?   Well, as noisy as it was, it was more sensitive (better QE?) than the T3i.   As blasphemous as it sounds, in terms of sensitivity, it competes well with current cameras.   I guess I'm holding out on the possibility of doing a TEC mod to cool the sensor by 20 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment