Tuesday, June 25, 2019

More Weird Problems with the Mount and Scope

So, I was writing an email to Charles where I was trying to figure out my recent goto problems.  I decided not to bore him with my imaging travails so I'm simply cutting from the email and pasting it here:






Speaking of 75% confidence in astrophotography (my number is like 50%), I've been having this crazy problem with the AP900 and goto.    For the last 4-5 times I've used
the mount, the goto's will be fine.   But for a few objects like M16 (Eagle), I'll get an error "-45 below horizon".  I keep thinking that the mount got confused as to where it is.
But when I look at the mount's coordinates, it's all accurate.   And I can slew to things around M16 which seems crazy because then when I type in M16, it gives the error again.
SO, I manually pointed the scope/mount at M16 and hit "sync".   When I look at the coordinates, it thinks the object is at -45 declination!    It's actually at around -19.   So,
my working theory is that the database in the hand controller has been corrupted for some targets.   When my laptop is connected to the mount, it looks like the hand controller information
trumps everything else so when I try to slew to M16 via my imaging software, I get all kinds of weird errors.  So, my plan is to replace the battery for the hand controller and
update the handcontroller firmware.  



Fun times with telescopes...

2 comments:

  1. I have not read the more recent posts, but bad firmware would have been my guess. I'm never bored with defect detection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, on the Astro-Physics website, it mentions this exact problem where a dropped keypad can interrupt the electricity to the object database and corrupt the information. But the stars don't get corrupted because that information is stored in a separate place. So the obvious comment is why not keep everything stored in the place that doesn't get corrupted?

    ReplyDelete