Tuesday, June 25, 2019

More O3 Data, SkySafari and PEMPro

Decided to get out and try to collect more data last night and had the same problems with M16 being confusing for the mount.   Earlier in the evening, I had figured out how to hook up SkySafari Pro via my cellphone.

Initially, I thought this would be my salvation.   But whenever I opened SkySafari and connected
it to the mount, it thought I was pointing at the southern horizon.  When I moved the scope via the arrow buttons and aligned it on a known object, the EAST button on the screen wouldn't work.   AND the goto function wouldn't work.   Also, the CP4 controller on the mount showed a yellow light which indicates an error in the controller.   WTF.  

This also means that I have to uplug everything to connect SkySafari again.   And even then, SkySafari sometimes would throw up a connection error.   The trick to resetting everything was to first disconnect the battery to the mount >sigh<, then forget the WIFI connection to the CP4 controller which means I have to type the password in again.  Then I would be back to SQUARE ONE, which means I've wasted 15 minutes of my life...  yet again.

After wasting two hours on this nonsense, I ended up just manually pointing the scope to M16.  On a lark, I tried connecting SkySafari and it did align!   And the GTO driver in windows showed the correct coordinates for M16.   WTF.   Anyways, I proceeded to collect about 4 x 20 min frames and the moon showed up at the beginning of the last frame. 

At this point, I was poking around the driver settings and it was set to AP900 and CP3.   >sigh<

I was really tired at this point and I don't know if I changed the driver settings to AP1200 and CP4 before my last attempt to connect to SkySafari or not.   IF I did change it before my last attempt to connect to SkySafari that would suggest a "rational" explanation as to why SkySafari didn't work.   But rational explanations sometimes seem a scarce commodity at midnight.

One thing that did happen was that when I hit goto on SkySafari it wanted to do a Meredian Flip which I let it do.   Judging on the orientation of the scope, it seemed like it had another good hour before having to flip.   I had to "sheppard" the cables as it flipped and it reminded me how far I was from having an "automated setup".   I decided to collect one more frame even with the 50% illuminated moon just to see if the image was okay.   It was okay.

So, I was sitting there at 3:15-ish am thinking I should pack up.   But earlier I had noticed my PEMPro shortcut on the desktop and I thought I should give it a shot.   Though exhausted, I fired it up and saw a message about my trial being expired!  I paid for PEMPro like a year ago and when it asked me if I wanted to download the latest version, I expected nothing to work. 

Well, it did work.  But of course there were issues.   The default configuration seems to want to connect to PHD2 and use the guide camera.   Well, I encountered a whole host of errors and troubleshooting took another 30 minutes.   I had tried this a year ago and I had to download a special version of PHD2 that was compatible with PEMPro.   Well...   it seemed like PEMPro was trying to connect with my regular version of PHD2 and I couldn't figure out how to point it to the special version.   >more sighs<

Eventually, I switched the camera from PHD2 to the main ATIK camera and everything basically worked from there.   I wish I had made a screenshot, but I was able to record a 10 arc sec periodic error (from peak to peak).   Then I was able to program the correction into the CP4 mount controller.

Now, I get to finally use "PEM" in the GTO drivers the next time I fire up the mount!   I'm pretty sure the PEC will get the error down to 4 arc seconds which is just a guess based on online accounts of how much PEC can help.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment