Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Solar Oven




Back in May I gave a presentation at Basis for a Solar Astronomy Day event.

One of the projects was to build a solar oven to make smores.   I tried 3 different designs -- all were painted black with flat black enamel from Home Depot.  The most successful design is pictured above. 

I recycled a box of caulking (yay for never ending house projects) by cutting a large hole, then covering the hole with saran wrap which was taped to form a rough seal.   After I placed the goodies in the box, I also taped it shut.   After 30 minutes in the mid-day sun, I had some nice smores.   The other two boxes did not have windows and they were generally 10 degrees cooler than the cellophane window box.   I was a little surprised as I assumed that the closed black box would be the hottest.   I guess good ole direct infrared energy is the most efficient way of delivering heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment