Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Schroter's Valley and Aristarchus


Data acquired on 8/6.  Through the 13.4" f/4.7 dob handheld.   Used the QHY5L-II, my guide camera.   Shot around 40 minutes of video, but had only maybe 2-3 minutes of usuable frames.   Stacked with Autostakkert, processed in PS.

Initially, I tried using wavelets in Registax to enhance the sharpness, but I found that it blew out details more readily than using the Raw Camera Filter in PS.

There is a sharp drop-off in detail outside the central 1/3 area.   Partly, this is due to the fact the
central area is raised like a mesa.   I found the focus to be extremely shallow -- the slightest movement made it unusable.  I also think the outer areas are suffering from coma as well.  So, I definitely plan to use the Paracorr next time.    Another thing to mention is that the dynamic range of the QHY5L is awful.   All the peripheral areas of the original frame are either blown out or in complete darkness.


No comments:

Post a Comment