Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Plan to shoot IFN again

I have a few images that I'm finally working on again.  They'll be posted in the next few weeks.

I hope to shoot an IFN centered roughly on NGC 3343 that I had tried getting a year and half ago.
I need to get a camera adapter for the Atik One.   But the adapter is out of stock.

So the plan is to center the shot on NGC 3343, which is a mag 14.7 (dim) galaxy in an odd section
of the Draco constellation, just northwest of the M81/82 area.




Technically, most of the nebula is centered in Draco.  The nebula takes up about 75% of this field.

In terms of equipment, if I shoot this with the Atik One, I need to use a wide-field camera lens.  I think a 85mm will do it, but I may need 50mm.   Also, I need to rig up a ring to hold the lens as I consistently had some kind of flex which manifested itself as trailing.   I think the "flex" was either the camera moving due to the single 1/4-20 screw holding it on the dovetail OR there was differential flex from the small telescope/guide camera.   Since the Atik One has an integrated OAG, I may have to remove it.   Not sure at this point.

From what I recall, the guiding in PHD showed decent tracking.

In Nov/Dec, I really should only be shooting this after 2 AM.   In Jan, I can probably shoot it after midnight.   I'd like to collect around 12-15 hours before the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment