Thursday, October 6, 2016

Astrometry Plate Solving

I was going through my folder with NGC 281 images and came across a single 5 minute image of a bright star using my Canon T3i and an H-alpha filter.  I processed it slightly in PS because it looked like there were hints of nebulosity around the bright star.  So I resized it and uploaded it to nova.astrometry.net to have it plate-solved.



It was Betelgeuse!   And looking through some deeper images of Rogelio's, I noticed that there isn't much in his images of the Betelgeuse region.  Could be stuff here to image.   Those NGC objects in the northern section of the image are listed as "non-objects" in the NGC/IC project.

Studying the image in more detail...   Looks like the round nebulosity near the top is
the back end of the Angelfish Nebula which is centered around Meissa.  But the nebulosity to the right of Betelgeuse remains somewhat mysterious.

No comments:

Post a Comment