Monday, March 10, 2014

This is the processed Seagull Nebula with data taken on 2/21/14.   Scope:  Zeiss 135mm lens at f/3.2.  Mount:  Orion Sirius.   On dual saddle guided with the Sky-Watcher 66mm f/6.5 scope.   Best 33 out of 50 exposures at 3 minutes, 1600 ISO.   Darks and Bias frames used.   But NO flats.  Shot through the Canon T3i.    Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker, processed in CS5.


The "head" of the Seagull is referred to as GUM-1.   The open cluster in the upper left is M50.   The smaller cluster embedded in the left "shoulder" is NGC 2335.   The cluster in the left part of the "abdomen" is NGC 2343.   And the cluster to the far right is NGC 2345.  The overall body of the Seagull is designated as IC 2177.

This was a bear to process in Deep Sky Stacker.   It kept producing a TIF file that was severely clipped.      I spent several hours reprocessing with different parameters.   Normally, I stick with the default settings using "Median Kappa-Sigma" for my stacking of lights, darks, and bias.   In the end, these worked, but for the sake of memory, I'm listing other settings:   Register settings - actions - Select best 90%.   Star Detection at 45%.   Stacking:  Mosaic.   ENABLED 2x Drizzle.   Alignment:  Auto.   Cosmetic:  Nothing selected.  Before exporting out of DSS, I tweaked the TIF file in the native editor as much as I could to bring out the red nebulosity.

In Photoshop, the most important manipulation of the image was under the "Select" menu:  Both "Color Range" and "Refine Mask" were pivotal in selecting the faintest red areas of the nebulosity so that I could bring it out in post-processing.     Processing is such a pain.

Comparing this to the earlier single frame I posted a couple weeks ago…it doesn't seem like it's much of an improvement.    In fact, I like the colors better in the single frame I processed.    My only solace is that there's probably less noise in the image above, but you'd have to have a large print to notice any difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment