Thursday, July 29, 2021

Ugh...this weather

So, it was looking pretty clear this past night and I set up as usual.   I took a 45 min break so the Lymax cooler could do its thing on the SCT.   When I stepped back outside it was 90% cloudy.  Jupiter was still visible but it was the old game of bright/dark as clouds moved through the view.   I waited a couple of hours -- checking every 20 to 30 minutes -- and caught a 10 min break in the clouds around 2 am.   I did some more waiting and I was ready to pack up at 4:30, but noticed Jupiter was visible through the clouds.  Checked the view on Sharpcap and I witnessed the elusive excellent seeing!   The problem was that clouds were racing across the planet so I had to play the awful game of raising and lowering the gain in Sharpcap so the histogram could stay around 70%.   It was painful to see all these great details in the equatorial bands be obscured by over and underexposure -- plus there was a thermal effect that caused an unusual amount of waviness.   But the underlying image was incredibly detailed.  I think I got maybe 12 minutes of Jupiter footage before the clouds thickened and erased my dreams of an excellent image.

No comments:

Post a Comment