Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Venus Study from 9/24

 


This is my best effort after about 7-8 tired mornings shooting with the C11 and UV setup.  

After some sharpening in PS, I was able to bring out some of the larger cloud structures.  I know there are some very thin bands in the south (and probably the north) but I couldn't quite tease them out.  There are certainly hints of them but I need better seeing and more aperture to get them.  In my 16 runs on the planet, there was only one run that came close to showing the thinner lines.

Seeing is routinely awful in the pre-dawn hours toward the east for me.  One morning, I did stay up til 9 am and tried to shoot Venus as it rose higher than 30 degrees but the seeing never settled.  My tube just got warmer and warmer due to the sun hitting the dew shield and scope body.

I think I need an open tube scope that I can run with a fan continuously to deal with the heat currents.  I don't think the SCT is a great choice for Venus (though there are some good images from C14's).  I guess I could try to fabricate a white dew shield and maybe completely cover the tube in Reflectix.   And/or I could try wrapping the outer part of the dew shield in aluminum foil.



No comments:

Post a Comment