Sunday, April 19, 2015

M82 and M81 with Holmberg IX and PGC 28731

This was a frustrating image to acquire and process.   Learned a lot of things, but the most painful lesson that I learned is that the neighborhood produces enough light pollution that processing the IFN (flux nebulosity) is intensely challenging.   The light pollution is not really evident in shorter 5 minute subexposures.  But it quickly raises its head when processing faint detail in longer exposures.   I suspect I need to gather 40+ hours of data to get much flux nebulosity in the north.   That means probably 8-10 nights of data.    Which in turn probably means it has to be done over 2-3 months.    The alternative, which is more appealing is to find a dark site where I can spend 4-5 nights.



Exposure details:
Dates: Feb 12,13,14,15,16 and 17.  
Exposures: 65 x 10 min exposures, 80 x 2 min exposures, 10 x 20 min H-alpha exposures.
50 Bias frames, 50 Flats, 60 Dark flats, 90 dark frames (for 10 min exposures only). 
ISO:  1600
Scope:  Takahashi TSA102S w/Televue .8x focal reducer/flattener.  
Camera:  Modded T3i with Astrodon UV/IR filter.
Mount:  Used AP1200.  
Misc:   Guided w/Orion 50mm guidescope and QHY5II-L autoguider, BackyardEOS, PHD2, Photoshop CC

I had a lot more flux nebulosity, but in an effort to combat light pollution gradients, a lot of
that flux got destroyed.   >sigh<

On a more positive note, I'm glad that I got some granularity in Holmberg IX which is right below M81.   And I'm glad to see I've got some detail in PGC 28731 (lower right) -- mainly that it is oval in shape and has a brightening core.  It's actually pretty large as far as PGC galaxies go.

You may note that I have 10 x 20 minute H-Alpha subs which were taken with an Astronomik 12nm H-alpha filter clipped into the Canon.   The H-alpha information allowed me to get that exploding red in M82.   And it's also responsible for the "measles" in the arms of M81.

Finally, the composition is about a 50% crop of the original.

Probably have over 80 frustrating hours of processing time in this image.  

3 comments:

  1. I was certainly impressed with M82 and visually I'd lever gotten the sense of its nature until seeing this. How hard is it to use a clip filter like the Astronomik? Can you easily do it in the field between shots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something really violent happening in M82. If Drake's equation for advanced civilizations is even vaguely accurate, there's probably nothing going in that galaxy due to tremendous cosmic ray and x-ray radiation.

    As for the Astronomik clip-in filter, it is easy to clip in and remove. Though you sometimes need a small flat-head to make the clip budge as it's a metal (filter) on metal (camera innards) contact. For the sake of safety (and out of laziness),
    I'd plan to keep the H-alpha filter in the camera for the full night. You may want to collect H-alpha data on a second subject.

    Though I collected 10x20 min subframes in H-alpha, upon looking at the data, I realized I should have collected 30-45 minute subframes. The signal is SO WEAK through a H-alpha filter that you don't see much unless you're photographing a very powerful emitter of H-alpha like M82. The frame looks like a very underexposed piece of film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete