Monday, December 29, 2014

MORE Guiding Woes

What a maddening hobby!   Same problem.

Here was my plan from last time:

Things to try:

1)  Disassemble the dual-saddle and tighten everything down.  DONE

2)  Do another polar alignment.  DONE

3)  MOVE both the camera and guidescope to one side. Couldn't do it.  Switched Camera and Scope poistions. 

4)  ADD more weight on top by adding maybe another camera. Used a different camera dovetail which was twice as heavy. 

5)  Cover the connection of the USB-Serial module w/hand warmers.   Maybe the
electronics are getting too cold???  DUMB IDEA.

Same results.  

I also tightened the DEC and RA Gear mesh according to AP's instructions and the guiding is worse by a long shot (went from .6" RMS to 1.8").  The lines are spiky and my total RMS is around 1.8" which is on the crappy side of "okay".

In any event...   Tired of gathering bad data, I also went to the Pyramid 13.8volt power supply wondering if the cold 10 degree temps were crippling the voltage from the Optima battery.   

I'm collecting 30 min shots of the Spaghetti Nebula.   Just trying a different part of the sky and more time.


I just don't get it.



[Later.....]    Still have lines corresponding with R.A.    I collected a bunch of data with the Tak102 at 15 min.    It could be that the system only works with some minimum weight like 15 lbs.   I don't believe it, but I need to verify it tonight.

Later.....]    >sigh<  Another failed night of imaging.   Tried to test the Tak by doing a 20min exposure, but just got a bizarre star trailing pic.    The darn rotator on the collar wasn't locked down and the telescope turned for the 20 min exposure.   PLUS the scope slipped down from its rings.    Holy crap.    Or just crap.

[Even Later...]  The more I think about it, the more I think that it's flex in the system -- specifically in the extremely longish refractor assembly which required a tube extension to get the autoguider to focus.   I can test this tomorrow night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment