Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Van Vleck 3 - Lagoon and Heart

So part of my "mission" at Van Vleck was to capture at least one of the summer targets in the Milky Way.
After some consideration, I decided upon the dual targets of the Lagoon (M8) and the Trifid Nebula (M20, M21).   Both of these targets are in Sagittarius.
The image is a result of 22 x 5 min exposures with darks, flats, bias.   I used the trusty modified Canon T3i at 1600 ASA (for the whole trip).  Explore Scientific 80mm F/6 with Televue .8x reducer/flattener (TRF-2008).  For reasons that I couldn't figure out, the camera was running hot at 18-24 degrees Celsius.   Lots of extra H-alpha nebulosity hinted at the region.   I know there's a lot more data there, but I'm fine with what I got.

I also shot the Heart Nebula (IC 1805) which I've shot a few times before.  It's a fairly large target that is suitable for smaller scopes and telephoto lenses.   This target (as well as its companion, the Soul Nebula) lie in the western part of Cassiopeia.
This is a result of 30 x 6 min shots.  So, one of the longer exposed images of the trip.  Darks, flats, and bias frames taken.   I was suprised at how much noise there was in the image overall.  Looking at my files it seems these shots ran pretty hot at 17-18 deg Celsius.  Having shot this camera a lot at home, I know there is an obvious improvement in image noise when you can get it down to 3-4 deg Celsius.  Hm...

At the end of the night, I was curious about the Sculptor Galaxy (NGC 253) which is fairly large by galaxy standards.   This is a simple 10 min shot of NGC 253 and its Globular friend NGC 288.
Couple of things to immediately note of this single frame:  Vignetting!   And noise.   

I would love to get down to Southern AZ and photograph this pair again with maybe 30-40 subexposures.

No comments:

Post a Comment