Friday, February 14, 2014

Here's a shot of the setup from last night.   Note the fancy tripod spreader and battery caddy that's holding the 50 lb battery.   It really helps keep the mount/telescope stable.   Before the battery caddy,
I could tip the tripod off one of the legs with my finger (guessing 10-15 lbs of force).   Now, I have
to push considerably harder (maybe 30-40 lbs of force?) to tip up a leg.  The battery itself barely
clears the bottom of the stock spreader bolt (which attaches the mount to the tripod). 

I wish the TPI spreader was designed to sit about 6-8 inches lower.    But I'm sure that would 
double or triple the price.   

Here's where I ordered it:  http://tpiastro.com/index.htm

Here's a 10 minute shot at 100 ISO.   Shot with modded Canon T3i.  Autoguided with Stellarvue 50mm finder with a QHY5-II.   No processing except bringing it into PS, then exporting as JPG.

Close up of the center.   I'm using a Televue .8x reducer/flattener.  Looks fine.   But there are hints of elongation probably due to either flex or autoguiding inaccuracies.

Lower right corner.   Definite elongation.   It seems slightly more pronounced in this corner than in the three other corners.   I'm a little disappointed, but I can live with it.

This is a 12 minute autoguided shot of the M82 area.    I brought it into PS and did an auto levels to see 
what sort of vignetting I was getting.   Obviously, the reducer/corrector is not centered.  But flats will take care of most of this issue.    Also, focus is off as I had not refocused since taking the Orion shots which was 4-5 hours earlier.

Closeup of M82 with a red line indicating the supernova.



No comments:

Post a Comment